Kilchurn Castle - Loch Awe
in Argyllshire, from the north
Three views of Kilchurn Castle on a promontory in the north of Loch Awe in Argyllshire.
This photo is looking south along Loch Awe.
The view in this direction from the castle tower is obscured by parts of the castle.
This castle was a stronghold of the Campbells - later the Earls of Breadalbane - and was initially built before 1450 and completed by 1475 or so. At that time it was on an island, now a low-lying peninsula.
It passed through various changes and its final use was as a barracks for redcoats during the Jacobite risings of 1715 and 1745 - Bonnie Prince Charlie and so on. It was finally abandoned later in that century.
Views of the castle from the west - from left of these images -
can be seen by clicking here.
From a little closer in the layout becomes clearer and the people in the tower give you a good idea of scale.
The pier to the left is where the passenger ferry from the Loch Awe Hotel lands but the castle can be easily accessed on foot from a scruffy car park just off the A85, between Dalmally and Loch Awe village.
Access over the railway level crossing is closed off so use the path that loops round under the railway to the west. It's not signposted.
The castle is currently in the care of Historic Scotland.
Even closer in the barracks block on the right - probably the last part to be added over the years - is clearly visible.
Pricing information for commissioned aerial photography
and image licences can be accessed HERE
Always remember that images taken by 197 aerial photography are available for clients
in a very much higher quality than the small sized compressed images which are shown
as .jpg files on this website.
Please see the quality sample page by clicking HERE or email for details.
All of the photographs, logos, graphics and text on this website are
Copyright © Alan Mackie
and all Moral Rights are asserted
This site does not set cookies or track your browsing