Just east of Kirkcaldy, Fife
This castle was originally planned and built by James II in 1460. It was intended to be for his queen, Mary of Guelders. Sadly, he died in August of that year and the work was then continued by his widow who trusted the work to the master mason Henry Meriloun who was one of several masons descended originally from a French family well-known for many fine buildings in Edinburgh.
It was said to be both an artillery base and a guard-post for the Firth of Forth but neither of those descriptions seem to have come about. There are no signs of gun ports on the seaward side of the castle.
The castle passed into the hands of the Sinclairs in about 1470 and between then and 1598 they had visits from both James V and James VI, later known to those to the south as James 1st.
These views were taken from the seaward side in early August 2015.
The first view is looking directly down on the castle with the recent flats in the background.
Further round to the east. The platform on the left with the information board - the castle is in the care of Historic Scotland - is the location of the queen's original planned grand hall.
Both tower houses can easily be seen.
Further back looking from the east with the high flats and Kirkcaldy in the distance.
Finally the view from the west showing the castle's location on the cliff above the bay of the Firth of Forth and Pathhead Sands.
Just round the headland - Craig-endle - is Dysart.
Pricing information for commissioned aerial photography
and image licences can be accessed HERE
Always remember that images taken by 197 aerial photography are available for clients
in a very much higher quality than the small sized compressed images which are shown
as .jpg files on this website.
Please see the quality sample page by clicking HERE or email for details.
All of the photographs, logos, graphics and text on this website are
Copyright © Alan Mackie
and all Moral Rights are asserted
This site does not set cookies or track your browsing