Garrison House (The Garrison)
Millport, Isle of Cumbrae
A few views of the old and venerable house on the seafront in
Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae.
Now used as a library and containing the Museum of the Cumbraes, council offices, a GP surgery, a popular cafe, with rooms for community use, as well as a model railway and some very nice gardens in front.
Originally built in 1745 (the year of Bonnie Prince Charlie's rebellion and just before
the Battle of Culloden) it started out as a garrison post for the crew of the
Revenue Sailing Ship the “Royal George” in which customs officers tried to curb
the lucrative smuggling business on the island.
The sunken garden was designed in around 1908 by Robert Weir Schultz.
In these two photos the whole Millport waterfront is clad with
Stars & Stripes flags as part of a Country & Western festival.
The marquee is part of that festival.
A wider view, showing the entire complex.
A detail from the above photo showing how sharp these images are.
This crop is around 0.0031 of the image. Or 1/330th of the whole.
Pricing information for commissioned aerial photography
and image licences can be accessed HERE
Always remember that images taken by 197 aerial photography are available for clients
in a very much higher quality than the small sized compressed images which are shown
as .jpg files on this website.
Please see the quality sample page by clicking HERE or email for details.
All of the photographs, logos, graphics and text on this website are
Copyright © Alan Mackie
and all Moral Rights are asserted
This site does not set cookies or track your browsing