St Bridget's Chapel
Dalgety Bay, Fife
Looking from a height of about 50 feet (16 metres) from over the water's edge towards the north shows the ruins of St Bridget's Chapel on the shoreline of the Firth of Forth.
From further out and higher up.
History tells us that this chapel was built before 1170 and was owned by the canons of Inchcolm Abbey on the island a few miles away.
It was reshaped by the Protestant Reformation in 1560 or thereabouts and again in the early 1600s by the addition of an upper floor (on the left as we look) for the use of the Chancellor of Scotland and his family. He liked a bit of comfort when he worshiped, seemingly.
It finally fell out of use in 1830 when the congregation moved to a new site and the bell was moved along the coast to Aberdour.
From higher up again and further offshore you can see in this shot the very close proximity of the kirk to the gardens of the houses in the eastern end of Dalgety Bay.
The Fife Coastal Path runs between the kirk and the houses and part of it can just be seen on the right in most of these photos.
The site is cared for by Historic Scotland and access is free of charge.
Always remember that images taken by 197 aerial photography are available for clients
in a very much higher quality than the small sized compressed images which are shown
as .jpg files on this website.
Please see the quality sample page by clicking HERE or email for details.
All content is copyright © Alan Mackie - moral rights are asserted