Garrison House (The Garrison)
Millport, Isle of Cumbrae
A few views of the old and venerable house on the seafront in
Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae.
Now used as a library and containing the Museum of the Cumbraes, council offices,
a GP surgery, a popular café, with rooms for community use, as well as a
model railway and some very nice gardens in front.
Originally built in 1745 (the year of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s rebellion and just before the Battle of Culloden)
it started out as a garrison post for the crew of the Revenue Sailing Ship the “Royal George” in
which customs officers tried to curb the lucrative smuggling business on the island.
The sunken garden was designed in around 1908 by Robert Weir Schultz.
In these two photographs the whole Millport waterfront is clad with Stars & Stripes flags as part of a
Country & Western festival. The marquee is part of that festival.
A wider view, showing the entire complex.