Ravenscraig Castle - Kirkcaldy, Fife
On the seaside cliffs, just to the east of Kirkcaldy.
This castle was originally planned and built by James II in 1460. It was intended to be
for his queen, Mary of Guelders. Sadly, he died in August of that year and the work
was then continued by his widow who trusted the work to the master mason Henry
Meriloun who was one of several masons descended originally from a French family
well-known for many fine buildings in Edinburgh.
It was said have been built as both an artillery base and a guard-post for the Firth
of Forth but neither of those descriptions seem to have come about. There are
no signs of gun ports on the seaward side of the castle.
The castle passed into the hands of the Sinclairs in about 1470 and between then
and 1598 they had visits from both James V and James VI, later known to those
to the south as James 1st.
These views were taken from the seaward side in early August.
The first view is looking directly down on the castle with the recent flats in
Further round to the east.
The platform on the left with the information board - the castle is in the care of
Historic Scotland - is the location of the queen's original planned grand hall.
Both tower houses can easily be seen.
Further back looking from the east with the high flats and Kirkcaldy.
Finally the view from the west showing the castle's location on the cliff above
the bay of the Firth of Forth and Pathhead Sands.
Just round the headland - Craig-endle - is Dysart.