Portencross Castle - Farland Head, North Ayrshire
The castle is on a peninsula just north of Seamill and West Kilbride.
The castle dates back to the 11th century but the present castle is
thought to date back to the mid-14th century (1500s)
It was badly damaged in the great storm of 1739 and with no roof
left it soon fell into ruin.
The castle is open to visitors.
Now that the work to restore the castle is completed it's possible to
view the interior on fairly limited dates during the summer months.
Portencross Castle was designated as a scheduled historic monument in 1955.
The castle is run by local part-time amateur volunteers.
These are older photographs looking north towards Cumbrae.
Millport is the town visible on the southern shore of Great Cumbrae.
Showing Lesser Cumbrae, Bute and Argyll in the distance.
There's a corresponding structure over the water on Lesser Cumbrae
on Castle Island, visible on the right of this photo, but we've no
idea if it's connected. Probably not.
The two together would guard the channel - Fairlie Roads - which runs north
past Fairlie and Largs.
The OS map labels the object on top of the island as an old lighthouse.