south of Dunoon, Cowal Peninsula, Argyllshire
Argyll & Bute, 8 miles south of Dunoon on the north coast of the Clyde.
The old Toward Castle is in ruins nearby, hidden among the trees. This is a nineteenth-century country house on
the tip of the Cowal peninsula, looking south-west towards Rothesay Bay on Bute and south towards Cumbrae
and the Ayrshire coast. It was built around 1820 for the ex Lord Provost of Glasgow, Kirkman Finlay.
From further back and showing Buachailean to the north as the backdrop.
During the Second World War it served as a naval command centre rather oddly called HMS Brontosaurus.
A few years back there was an attempt at a community buy-out but as is often the way of these things there
were too many opposing views all pulling in different directions and seemingly no coherent plan.
Now in the hands of private owners there are plans underway to convert Castle Toward to flats and also to use the castle
and the estate as the base for various business enterprises.